Monday, November 26, 2012

the beginning of my love story...


In December 2009, I had been home from my mission for almost five months and i needed to be in a show. I really needed to be in a show. The community theatre close by was holding auditions for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers; and although this wasn't a musical on my "Shows I Have to Do Before I Die" list (yes, I have one of those), I decided to audition anyway. There would be a lot of dancing, and no matter which bride you are you get a decent amount of stage time. I auditioned and made the part of Ruth, bride to Caleb. 

I was so excited to be in a show again! The last one I had done was Little Shop of Horrors at Pickleville Playhouse before I left on my mission. Our first rehearsal in January was a blast! The scripts and scores hadn't arrived yet, so we just got to know each other-- by trying to escape a human knot for over an hour. I've never been hugged by so many people at the same time! I also had a chance to get to know my partner, Brian. The cast was shaping up to be a very talented group of people, and I was excited to get started... but we were still a little short handed when it came to men, as it is with most musical productions; we had no one to play Benjamin.

Two of the Brides, who commuted from Cache Valley, told the directors that they knew a boy that would do the show. The directors agreed to hold a small audition for him, so Katherine and Kat brought their friend Jason down to Ogden. He sang a few bars and was immediately cast, but he looked too young to play the second oldest brother, so they shifted the partnerships around a little bit, and I ended up with the new kid. I am so glad that happened, because I ended up falling in love with him, and not just on stage.

You can expect a second installment of this story soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment